- Investment Services
- helpful links
Mistakes happen. With Overdraft Protection, you can avoid the fees and embarrassment that comes with bounced checks and denied debit card transactions.
Here are four ways you can avoid overdrawing your account:
1. Talk with us about how using one or more of the following Washington Trust Bank products can assist with Overdraft Protection:
- Checking Account
- Savings Account
- Money Market Account
- WTB Credit Card1
- WTB Line of Credit1
- New accounts are subject to credit approval.
Once you open or apply for any of the above accounts, link them to your checking account as Overdraft Protection against future occurrences. This way, if you perform a transaction that exceeds the balance in your checking account, funds from the linked account(s) will be transferred to cover the overdraft. Transfer fees may apply.Table of Services for Overdraft Coverage
Transfers and/or withdrawals from your money market or savings account conducted in person at any branch, by mail or by ATM are unlimited. All other transfers including telephone transfers, online transfers, overdraft or minimum balance coverage, pre-authorized debits, point of sale purchases, and checks are limited to six withdrawals per calendar month or statement cycle (a period of at least four weeks.) Your individual four-week period starts at the beginning of each statement cycle (if you receive statements monthly) or the calendar month (if you receive statements quarterly.) We are required by law to ensure that you comply with this limit. If you exceed this limit after we have notified you of a violation, the Bank must change your account to discontinue the automatic services, close, or reclassify the account.
2. Enroll in WTB Online Banking
Take advantage of our online services, including Mobile Banking and Bill Payment.
- See where your money is going, including pending transactions
- Set–up low balance alerts
- Ensure your bills are paid on time
3. Ensure your bank activity is accurately reflected in your records
- Record all check and debit card transactions
- Record all automatic withdrawals and deposits
- Balance your checking account to your bank statement on a monthly basis
4. Money Management Counseling**
You can take advantage of free money management counseling by contacting Money Management International at 866.515.2227. Or visit their website at www.moneymanagement.org. They will assist you in budget management strategies.
MMI offers free credit counseling to those who need help with budgeting, basic money management skills, and credit problems. Certified counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by telephone and internet. In–person credit counseling is also available by appointment in the local markets in which we operate.
You and your personal credit counselor will work together to:
- Assess your current financial situation
- Develop a realistic spending plan
- Establish achievable financial goals
- Create a personal action plan for success
**Money Management International (MMI) does not lend money and is not a loan company. MMI provides free counseling and education programs. Clients who choose to participate in a Debt Management Plan (DMP) will be assessed a fee for services where allowed by state law. Fees may be waived based on federal poverty level guidelines. The establishment of DMP may adversely affect the individual's credit rating or credit scores, and nonpayment of debt may lead creditors to increase finance and other charges or to undertake collection activity, including litigation. Member of the National Foundation for Credit Counseling and the Association for Independent Consumer Credit Counseling Agencies, Accredited by the Council on Accreditation.